Dr. Muhammad ArifAssistant Professor Nust
A highly motivated creative media professional having 12-years long, versatile and rich experience in Pakistan’s media industry (Radio, TV, and Online) and International media: Reuters (UK), CCTV &CRI (China), as news producer and editor.
Areas of Academic Interest:
Digital Media Evolution, Digital Journalism, Media and Globalization, Media and Diplomacy, Development Communication, China’s Soft Power, China’s Development Communication Model, China Pakistan Diplomacy Communication.
Academic Development Profile:
|2018||Ph.D in Journalism with specialization in Digital Media and Communication, from School of Journalism & Communication, Hebei University, China.
Dissertation Topic: Covering China’s Rise: A Comparative Framing Analysis of BBC News and Al-Jazeera English (2013-2014).
Advisor: Professor Bai Gui, Dean School of Journalism and Communication, Hebei University.
|2012||MS Media and Communication, International Islamic university Islamabad|
|2011||Chinese Language Certificate, NUML, Islamabad.|
|2007||Professional Journalism Training, SAFMA, Lahore|
|2004||Master of Science in Mass Communication, AIOU, Islamabad|
|2000||Advanced Diploma in English Language Literature NUML, Islamabad|
|1997||Bachelor in Social Sciences from Punjab University|
Research and Publications
1. Published research papers on China Pakistan diplomacy “Exploring Channels of Cultural Communication between Pakistan and China” May, 2016. Media Watch Journal ,
2. Mapping out Anti-China Frame‟ in Mainstream Western News Media: An Analytical Perspective, January 2018, Media Watch Journal
3. International Media Framing of China’s Domestic Politics: Aljazeera English and BBC News, January 2018, Media Watch Journal 4. Research contribution for a book on “Pakistan Media Landscape” published by Peking University. 5. Contributed for Research Articles on OBOR Conference in the context of Pakistan Government Policy Initiatives towards Development of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC)
Media Profession Profile:
|Aug.2018||currently working at NUST as Assistant Professor, Media and Communication Dept.|
|2009-2017||worked at Pakistan China Institute, a think-tank, as an Editor and contributed by launching a Digital Magazine Nihao-Salam for publicity and promotion of Pakistan China Diplomacy via digital media platforms.|
|2009-11||Associate Producer, News & Current Affairs, Dunya TV|
|2010||Freelance News Producer, CCTV Int’l, China|
|2008||Associate Producer, News & Current Affairs Samaa TV|
|2007||News Producer, Reuters –TV|
|2005-07||Assistant Producer, Programs, ATV|
|2005||Researcher & Script Writer, Programs, Business Plus TV|
|2005||Sub-Editor, English News Desk, Online News Network|
|2004||Intern, News & Current Affairs, Pakistan Television (PTV)|
Manager Communication: managed the launch of a mobile media information service for foreigners in China by Panda Guides, a leading travel and tourism organization based in Beijing from September 2015 to May 2016. Represented: Pakistan China Institute at conferences discussing bilateral, regional and international affairs, strategic issues, economic development and media collaboration with China.
Liaison Officer: I worked as Liaison Officer for foreign companies in China, and responsibilities included arrangement of factory visits and business negotiations. I also arranged foreign businessmen for trade fairs and expos.
Media Volunteer: I am also worked as Media Volunteer for European Union Film Festival in China (2013) for promotion and publicity of the event.
Social Ambassador: I have worked as Social Ambassador, in Yinchuan, Ningxia in Summer Camp July to Aug 2013 for international cultural exchange program. http://nxsummercamp.updi.org/international-teachers/ Traveler: I have traveled around almost 35 major cities of China from Shanghai to Sanya, Boao, Nanjing, Hangzhuo, Urumqi, Kunming, Chengdu, Xiamen,Suzhou,Fuzho,Chengdu,Tianjin and Yinchuan, Hohot etc.
Appearance in Chinese Media:
Global Times: China is attracting International Students
Panda Guides: China‟s 10 Airports Win Top Positions in World’s Best Airports 2017
China Daily: Pakistan China Relations
China Radio Int‟l: Pakistan China Relations
Phoenix TV: Pakistan China Relations
Global World: Pakistan China Relations
China Economic Daily: CPEC and Investment in Gwadar
- China Scholarship for PhD in Media and Communication
- Winner of “China Knowledge” China Radio International (CRI) 2011
- South Asian Free Media Association Training Program 2007
Skills: Research, Reporting/Editing, Digital Communication, Publicity and Propaganda Skills
Languages: English, Chinese, (Russian and Arabic) and Urdu languages.
Interests/Activities: Skating, swimming, badminton, traveling, photography and cooking etc are leisure activities.
- Dr.Noor Hayat, Asst.Professor, University of Central Punjab, Lahore, Mob# 03422304841
- Qazi Sabahuddin, Asst. Director Media, Air University, Pakistan Mob# 03218542750
- Dr.Jin Qiang, Associate Professor, Hebei University, China. Mob# +86-18733959222